- The nuclear power plant reactors 1 and 3 at Fukushima are in a critical condition. Yesterday there was an explosion at reactor 1.
- Around170,000 people within 20km of the nuclear plant have been evacuated.
- Elsewhere in the area of the disaster, about 310,000 people are in emergency shelters.
- In Minamisanriku alone, around 10,000 people are missing.
- Power cuts have affected millions of people across northern Honshu and scaled power cuts across the country may occur.
You can stay informed via this live update from the BBC: